Winfield is part of the West Chicago Mosquito Abatement District which contracts with Clarke Mosquito Control to control mosquitos during their busiest reproduction cycles. Clarke offers the following tips to help minimize mosquito related problems.
- If outdoors, dress in light-colored, long-sleeved clothing, long pants and socks during prime mosquito hours. Apply mosquito repellent with DEET to clothing and exposed skin in accordance with label directions.
- Discard any outdoor container that might hold water, and empty water from wading pools and birdbaths weekly.
- Keep grass cut and shrubbery well-trimmed.
- Do not dump grass clippings into low lying areas that collect water after rainfalls to control mosquito larvae development.
- Report dead birds on your property to the DuPage County Health Department as they can be the first indicators of the presence of West Nile virus in the area.
- Avoid or limit outdoor activity at dusk and dawn.
- Call the Clarke Mosquito Hotline at 800-942-2555 to report standing water and excessive mosquito annoyance.